Saturday, September 22, 2007

Spiderman...

...or woman, I suppose. Either way, here's a cool photo of a black and yellow spider (Argiope aurantia) I took in our front prairie a couple weeks ago. That morning, I looked out the bedroom window to see huge spider webs covered in dew all over the prairie. I'm not a good enough photographer to be able to capture those images well, but this one was pretty cool, I thought. This spider's body was probably a little bigger than a quarter -- a bit too big for my comfort, but they must have some important job in the prairie or they wouldn't be there, right?


2 comments:

3anklebiters said...

those are FANTASTIC photos! i'm sure spiders have some purpose on this earth, but they are just so creepy i'd rather not strike up a conversation to find out what it is. haha.

Laurel Hall said...

The kids around here call them "Banana" spiders (??). We have one in our yard right now and I suspect those pods in her web are baby spiders waiting to hatch. You're right, the web is fantastic. Particularly striking when the morning sun strikes the dew.